These A Few Good Men quotes will make you feel like you are right there in the courtroom, especially the ones where Col. Jessup is berating everyone!
The dynamite legal drama film, A Few Good Men, featured a stellar cast with the likes of Tom Cruise and Jack Nicholson. However, many people don’t realize that the 1992 American movie is based on a 1989 play by Aaron Sorkin. Tom Cruise and Jack Nicholson were not the only top-notch talents to join the cast of A Few Good Men. The movie also starred Demi Moore, Kevin Bacon, Kevin Pollak, J. T. Walsh, Cuba Gooding Jr., and Kiefer Sutherland.
The events of the movie revolve around the court-martial of two U.S. Marines charged with the murder of a fellow Marine. There is a ton of detective work and courtroom drama as their lawyers prepare a case to defend their clients.
A series of events set back the defense, including the suicide of one of their witnesses. Lt. Daniel Kaffee (Tom Cruise), risks being court-martialed and calls Col. Jessup (Jack Nicholson), the commanding officer, to the stand.
These A few Good Men quotes illustrate the brilliance of the court scene, among some other impressive scenes from the movie.
Don’t forget to also check out these A Bronx Tale quotes from the coming of age gangster film.
A Few Good Men quotes about truth and honor (you can’t handle the truth quote)
1. Lt. Daniel Kaffee: I WANT THE TRUTH!
Col. Jessup: YOU CAN’T HANDLE THE TRUTH!
2. “You don’t need to wear a patch on your arm to have honor.” ― Lt. Daniel Kaffee, Tom Cruise
3. “We joined the Marines because we wanted to live our lives by a certain code, and we found it in the Corps. Now you’re asking us to sign a piece of paper that says we have no honor. You’re asking us to say we’re not Marines.” ― Lance Cpl. Harold W. Dawson, Wolfgang Bodison
4. “If a court decides that what we did was wrong, then I’ll accept whatever punishment they give. But I believe I was right sir, I believe I did my job, and I will not dishonor myself, my unit, or the Corps so I can go home in six months… Sir.” ― Lance Cpl. Harold W. Dawson, Wolfgang Bodison
5. Downey: [nervously] Colonel Jessup said he ordered the Code Red! What did we do wrong?
Galloway: It’s not that simple…
6. Downey: [anxiously] What did we do wrong? We did nothing wrong!
Dawson: Yeah, we did. We were supposed to fight for people who couldn’t fight for themselves. We were supposed to fight for Willy.
7. Lt. Sam Weinberg: Why do you like them so much?
Lieutenant Commander JoAnne Galloway: Because they stand on a wall, and say “Nothing is going to hurt you tonight, not on my watch.”
A Few Good Men quotes about ‘Call me sir’ and other choice names
8. Lt. Daniel Kaffee: Excuse me. I didn’t dismiss you.
Col. Jessup: I beg your pardon?
Lt. Daniel Kaffee: I’m not through with my examination. Sit down.
9. Col. Jessup: Colonel!
Lt. Daniel Kaffee: What’s that?
Col. Jessup: I would appreciate it if you would address me as “Colonel” or “Sir.” I believe I’ve earned it.
Judge Randolph: Defense counsel will address the witness as “Colonel” or “Sir.”
10. Col. Jessup: [To the judge] I don’t know what the hell kind of unit you’re running here.
Judge Randolph: And the witness will address this court as “Judge” or “Your Honor.” I’m quite certain I’ve earned it. Take your seat, Colonel.
11. Lt. Daniel Kaffee: This your signature?
Lance Cpl. Harold W. Dawson: Yes, sir.
Lt. Daniel Kaffee: You don’t have to call me “sir”. Is this your signature?
12. Lt. Daniel Kaffee: (In Santiago’s room) Lt. Kendrick… can I call you John?
Lieutenant Kendrick: No, you may not.
Lt. Daniel Kaffee: Have I done something to offend you?
Lieutenant Kendrick: No, I like all you Navy boys. Every time we’ve gotta go someplace to fight, you fellas always give us a ride.
13. Pfc. Louden Downey: Sir, yes, sir.
Lt. Daniel Kaffee: You certainly don’t need to do it twice in one sentence.
14. “I am a lawyer and an officer in the United States Navy… And you’re under arrest, you son of a bitch.” ― Lt. Daniel Kaffee, Tom Cruise
Funny and sarcastic A Few Good Men quotes
15. [irritated because she didn’t understand his intention] “Commander, I’d like you to leave the room so we can talk about you behind your back.” ― Capt. West, John M. Jackson
16. Lt. Sam Weinberg: Nobody likes the whites, but we’re going to Cuba. You got Dramamine?
Lt. Daniel Kaffee: Dramamine keeps you cool?
Lt. Sam Weinberg: No, Dramamine keeps you from throwing up. You get sick when you fly.
Lt. Daniel Kaffee: I get sick when I fly because I’m afraid of crashing into a large mountain.
17. Lt. Sam Weinberg: Cmdr. Galloway, Lt. Kaffee is considered to be the best litigator in our office. He successfully plea-bargained 44 cases in 9 months.
Lt. Daniel Kaffee: One more and I get a set of steak knives.
18. Lt. Daniel Kaffee: I’m just not that crazy about boats, that’s all.
Lt. Cdr. JoAnne Galloway: Jesus Christ, Kaffee, you’re in the Navy for crying out loud.
19. “I get paid no matter how much time you spend in jail.” ― Lt. Daniel Kaffee, Tom Cruise
20. Lt. Dave Spradling: We were supposed to meet in your office fifteen minutes ago to talk about the McDermont case. You’re stalling on this thing. We get this done right now, or I mean it, Kaffee, I’m going to hang your boy from a fuckin’ yardarm!
Lt. Daniel Kaffee: Yardarm? Sherby, does the Navy still hang people from Yardarms?
21. Lt. Cdr. JoAnne Galloway: I was wondering if… how’d you would feel about my taking you to dinner tonight.
Lt. Daniel Kaffee: Are you asking me out on a date?
Lt. Cdr. JoAnne Galloway: No…
Lt. Daniel Kaffee: It sounded like you were asking me out on a date.
22. Lt. Daniel Kaffee: What’s a fence line?
Capt. Whitaker: Sam.
Lt. Sam Weinberg: A big wall separating the good guys from the bad guys.
23. Lt. Sam Weinberg: You’ve heard her. The girl sat here, pointed, and said, “Pa.” She did.
She said, “Pa.”
Lt. Daniel Kaffee: She was pointing at a mailbox, Sam.
Lt. Sam Weinberg: That’s right. She was pointing as if to say, “Pa, look, a mailbox.”
24. Lt. Daniel Kaffee: How did you know where the mess hall was if it’s not in this book?
Cpl. Jeffrey Barnes: Well, I guess I just followed the crowd at chow time, sir.
25. “Is the colonel’s underwear a matter of national security?” ― Lt. Daniel Kaffee, Tom Cruise
Which of these A Few Good Men quotes is your favorite?
Kaffee ends up catching Jessup in a lie while he is testifying and all hell breaks loose. The drama, phenomenal acting, and brilliant story made this film a success. It was produced by Castle Rock Entertainment, and released by Columbia Pictures on December 11,
The movie received critical acclaim and killed it at the box office, grossing over $243 million against a $40 million budget. It was also nominated for four Academy Awards, including Best Picture. The scene where Jack Nicholson’s character screams, “You can’t handle the truth” has become a regular phrase in America.
What did you like most about this movie? Use the comment section below to share some other favorite A Few Good Men quotes and lines, or let us know your favorite scene. If you haven’t seen the movie yet, take a few hours and watch it. You won’t regret it!