Gangster movies are a classic part of American cinema. To relive some of the best, we have compiled memorable gangster quotes below.
What’s your favorite crime movie?
One of the most compelling parts of a gangster movie is seeing the lives behind criminals. We see the bonds they have with their backstories, relationships, families, and friends. Through this backstory, we are better able to understand why the characters commit to a life of crime.
This genre of film is jam-packed with quality movies. But on this list, we have some of our favorites such as Reservoir Dogs, The Godfather, and New Jack City.
Sit back, relax, and enjoy the list of movie quotes below!
Gangster quotes from Reservoir Dogs
1. “I don’t wanna kill anybody. But if I gotta get out that door, and you’re standing in my way, one way or the other, you’re gettin’ outta my way.” – Mr. Pink (Steve Buscemi)
2. “Are you gonna bark all day little doggie? Or are you gonna bite?” – Mr. Blonde (Michael Madsen)
3. “I don’t tip because society says I have to. All right, if someone deserves a tip, if they really put forth an effort, I’ll give them something a little something extra. But this tipping automatically, it’s for the birds. As far as I’m concerned, they’re just doing their job.” – Mr. Pink (Steve Buscemi)
4. “If you shoot this man, you die next. Repeat. If you shoot this man, you die next.” – Mr. White (Harvey Keitel)
5. “You don’t need proof when you have instinct!” – Joe (Lawrence Tierney)
6. “If you f**king beat this prick long enough, he’ll tell you he started the goddamn Chicago fire, now that don’t necessarily make it f**king so!” – Nice Guy Eddie (Chris Penn)
7. “You’re acting like a first-year f**king thief! I’m acting like a professional!” – Mr. Pink (Steve Buscemi)
8. “The choice between doing ten years and taking out some stupid motherf**ker, ain’t no choice at all. But I ain’t no madman.” – Mr. White (Harvey Keitel)
9. “All right ramblers, let’s get rambling!” – Joe (Lawrence Tierney)
10. “Somebody’s shoved a red-hot poker up our ass, and I want to know whose name is on the handle!” – Mr. Pink (Steve Buscemi)
11. “You, buddy, are stuck in a situation you created. So, if you wanna throw bad looks somewhere, throw ’em at a mirror!” – Mr. Pink (Steve Buscemi)
Gangster quotes from New Jack City
12. “Money talks and bullshit runs a marathon. So, see ya and I wouldn’t want to be ya.” – Nino Brown (Wesley Snipes)
13. “You’re the one who’s guilty. I mean, c’mon, let’s kick the ballistics here: Ain’t no Uzi’s made in Harlem. Not one of us in here owns a poppy field. This thing is bigger than Nino Brown. This is big business. This is the American way.” – Nino Brown (Wesley Snipes)
14. “I never liked you anyway, pretty motherf**ker!” – Nino Brown (Wesley Snipes)
15. “Drugs ain’t a black thing or a white thing. It’s a death thing. Death don’t give a shit about color.” – Nick Peretti (Judd Nelson)
16. “Cancel that bitch, I’ll buy another one.” – Nino Brown (Wesley Snipes)
17. “You gotta rob to get rich in the Reagan era.” – Nino Brown (Wesley Snipes)
18. “I knew I should’ve treated you like a hooker, you ain’t nothing but a high-priced ho!” – G-Money (Allen Payne)
19. “You know, a drug dealer is the worst kind of brother. He won’t sell it to his sister, he won’t sell it to his mother. But he’ll sell it to one of his boys in the street. I don’t know about you, but I’m ready to kill Nino Brown. Are you with me?” – Scotty Appleton (Ice-T)
20. “They got that shit hooked up like Mission Impossible, man!” – Pookie (Chris Rock)
21. “I should have killed you myself, bitch!” – Scotty Appleton (Ice-T)
Gangster quotes from The Godfather
22. “Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.” – Peter Clemenza (Richard S. Castellano)
23. “I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn’t work that way. So, I stole a bike and asked him for forgiveness.” – Michael Corleone (Al Pacino)
24. “I’m gonna make him an offer he can’t refuse.” – Don Corleone (Marlon Brando)
25. “In Sicily, women are more dangerous than shotguns.” – Calo (Franco Citti)
What does loyalty mean to you?
In gangster movies, loyalty is everything. Whether it’s breaking a deal, lying, or not following a plan, disloyalty is a crime that typically leads to a hefty punishment. Loyalty is a universal value that most people understand the importance of.
Through universal themes such as loyalty, gangster movies are able to humanize their characters and even encourage the audience to root for people they never would have supported in their daily life. If these movies didn’t show their characters outside of their life of crime, no one would watch.
Which of these gangster quotes and lines is your favorite? What movie should we feature next on Everyday Power? Let us know in the comments below!