Do you find yourself getting pulled in by others in their time of need or vice versa? We have curated dozens of misery loves company quotes to remind you that you’re not alone.
When’s the last time you were someone else’s support system?
The oldest reference of the phrase “misery loves company” is by 14th-century Italian historian Dominici de Gravina. Cliff’s Notes states that Gravina once wrote “Solamen miseris socios habuisse doloris,” which translates to, “It is a comfort to the unfortunate to have had companions in woe.”
Today, the phrase is still a part of popular culture and frequently finds its way into modern movies, music, and television.
Below are quotes that analyze these relationships from many different perspectives, including how to handle toxic people, the importance of listening to others, and how to move forward.
Also read these walking away quotes and sayings for when it’s time to let go.
Misery loves company quotes on relationships
1. “If you’re giving love and not receiving it, you’re not in the right relationship. If you’re receiving it and not giving it than you are taking advantage of the other person.” – Patti Stanger
2. “A bad relationship is like standing on broken glass, if you stay you will keep hurting…If you walk away, you will hurt but eventually you will heal.” – Autumn Kohler
3. “In any relationship where one person depends on another to be his or her ‘parachute’ — and the other accepts this role — both will fall to the ground.” – Guy Finley
4. “Relationships based on obligation lack dignity.” – Wayne Dyer
5. “Don’t be reckless with other people’s hearts, and don’t put up with people that are reckless with yours.” – Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.
6. “It is far better to be alone than to be in bad company.” – George Washington
7. “Anger repressed can poison a relationship as surely as the cruelest words.” – Dr. Joyce Brothers
8. “The wrong person isn’t breaking their back to make you happy. So, stop breaking your back for them.” – Sonya Parker
9. “We are responsible for our own relationships, their success, their failures, the good times, the bad times. Take responsibility for creating the relationships that you desire.” – Sam Owen
10. “Break free of toxic people and relationships, they erode your quality of life.” – Ty Howard
11. “Letting go of toxic people in your life is a big step in loving yourself.” – Hussein Nishah
12. “Like arsenic, toxic people will slowly kill you. They kill your positive spirit and play with your mind and emotions. The only cure is to let them go.” – Dennisse Lisseth
13. “Because at some point you have to realize that some people can stay in your heart but not in your life.” – Sandi Lynn
Misery loves company quotes on suffering
14. “We must all suffer one of two things: the pain of discipline or the pain of regret or disappointment.” – Jim Rohn
15. “I imagine one of the reasons people cling to their hates so stubbornly is because they sense, once hate is gone, they will be forced to deal with pain.” – James Baldwin
16. “If you’re never able to tolerate a little bit of pain and discomfort, you’ll never get better.” – Angela Duckworth
17. “Strength doesn’t mean an absence of pain.” – Aja Naomi King
18. “Pain and foolishness lead to great bliss and complete knowledge, for Eternal Wisdom created nothing under the sun in vain.” – Khalil Gibran
19. “The struggle of my life created empathy – I could relate to pain, being abandoned, having people not love me.” – Oprah Winfrey
20. “There is no coming to consciousness without pain.” – Carl Jung
21. “The experience of pain or loss can be a formidably motivating force.” – John C. Maxwell
22. “Pain is as diverse as man. One suffers as one can.” – Victor Hugo
23. “If pleasure was not followed by pain, who would forbear it?” – Samuel Johnson
24. “We spend millions of dollars to remove pain from our lives. It’s why so many people get hooked on painkillers. The body becomes addicted to painlessness. That tells you a lot.” – Henry Rollins
25. “When there is pain, there are no words. All pain is the same.” – Toni Morrison
When’s the last time you chose to let go of something that was bothering you?
There’s nothing wrong with turning to the support of others in your time of need. We’ve all done it at some point in our lives. But, be sure that you support the other person just as much as they support you. If not, the other person could end up feeling used and the relationship could be strained.
If you believe your friend is going through a dark time, don’t hesitate to reach out to them. Relationships are all about supporting each other. But, that support has to go both ways.
Which of these misery loves company quotes and sayings is your favorite? Let us know your thoughts down below.