These That 70s Show quotes from characters like Steven Hyde, Michael Kelso, Red Forman, Jackie Burkhart, Donna Pinciotti, and Eric Forman will have you laughing and shaking your head at some of the absurdity! It’s almost like you are right in front of your screen watching.
That ’70s Show is an American television period sitcom that chronicled the lives of six teenage friends living in fictional Point Place, Wisconsin, from May 17, 1976, to December 31, 1979. The show originally aired on Fox from August 23, 1998, to May 18, 2006. Keep reading to find out why That 70s Show was canceled.
The plot of the show addressed social issues of the 1970s. These included sexual attitudes, generational conflict, the economic recession, mistrust of the American government, and underage drinking/teenage drug use (as heavily implied by ‘the circle’).
It also highlighted several iconic things like fashion trends, ‘the clicker’ and TV, Star Wars, video games, and even the VCR. You can see a lot of themes in these short That 70s Show quotes, but the episodes do a much better job of capturing the vibe of the 70s.
Don’t forget to also check out these Blues Brothers quotes from the musical comedy.
Best That 70s Show quotes from Steven Hyde that will make you shake your head
1. “Don’t put me in your fantasies. I don’t even like being in your real life.” ― Hyde
2. “I don’t love people. I love Camaros, Zeppelin, and french fries- in that order!” ― Hyde
3. “It’s not the devil, man! It’s congress! They passed a secret law to put backward messages in our records, man! They want to kill rock n’ roll because they know it makes us horny, man!” ― Hyde
4. “Disco is from hell, okay? And not the cool part of hell with all the murderers, but the lame ass part with the accountants!” ― Hyde
5. “I’m telling you, the government has a car that runs on water, man!” ― Hyde
6. “Fez, I don’t know why you are smiling, but I promise you won’t be.” ― Hyde
7. “You know what your problem is? You’re really cute, so no one ever told you to shut your pie hole.” ― Hyde
8. “I don’t answer stupid questions.” ― Hyde
9. “The three true branches of the government are- military, corporate, and Hollywood.” ― Hyde
10. “Hey, if God didn’t want me to wear this shirt so much, he wouldn’t have made them rock so hard.” ― Hyde
Sarcastic and funny That 70s Show quotes from Red Forman
11. “Yelling is the only part of being a father that I enjoy!” ― Red Forman
12. “When my time comes, I want to be buried face down, so that anybody that doesn’t like me can kiss my ass.” ― Red Forman
13. “Without our government, you’d be stuck in siberia now, sucking the juice from a rotten commie potato!” ― Red Forman
14. “You morons just hung vacancy signs on your asses… and my foot’s looking for a room!” ― Red Forman
15. “If I was a bird, I’d fly into the ceiling.” ― Red Forman
16. “That’s your brain trying to comprehend its own stupidity.” ― Red Forman
17. “You don’t have bad luck. The reason that bad things happen to you is because you’re a dumbass!” ― Red Forman
18. “Well, that’s, that’s perfect, Eric. Use that line when you’re up for Miss America.” ― Red Forman
19. “That’s the thing about marriage… No one tells you about the three rings. There’s the engagement ring, the wedding ring, and the suffering.” ― Red Forman
20. Kitty: “Red, it wouldn’t hurt you to thank him.”
Red: “It might… I just had a heart attack.”
That 70s Show quotes from Kelso
21. “You know what your problem is? I’m too good looking.” ― Kelso
22. “I’m like ketchup; I am good on everything.” ― Kelso
23. “I have three things that women want: I’m hot and I’m smart.” ― Kelso
24. “Ooooh! Burn! That’s a burn about a burn! That’s a 2nd degree burn!” ― Kelso
25. “Damn, Jackie, I can’t control the weather!” ― Kelso
Which of the above That 70s Show quotes is your favorite?
An interesting fact about the show is the original working titles were all inspired by hit songs of the 70s. One working title was Teenage Wasteland (named after the lyric from Baba O’Riley by The Who). Another The Who song that almost made it as the show’s title was, The Kids Are Alright. Some other contenders included Feelin’ All Right (a Traffic & Joe Cocker song) and Reeling in the Years (a song by Steely Dan).
However, producers were met with song-rights refusals, and co-creator Bonnie Turner suggested that the show should be titled That ’70s Show. She had heard an audience member saying “I loved that show about the ’70s.” While all of those songs are cool, I can’t imagine this show being called anything else!
Beginning in season 5, the show once again picked up the idea for a 70s musical tribute, by naming all the episodes after a song by a famous rock band. For season 5, the lucky band was Led Zeppelin. Season 6 featured titles inspired by The Who, while season 7 paid homage to The Rolling Stones.
Season 8’s episode titles featured songs by Queen, except for the finale. So, just why was That 70s Show canceled? Well, Topher Grace (Eric Forman) and Ashton Kutcher (Michael Kelso) wanted the freedom to expand their film careers.
What was your favorite thing about That 70s Show? Do you have any other That ’70s Show quotes and lines to add? Use the comment section below to share your thoughts or tell us about your favorite episode.