Doctors find a cockroach in the VAGINA of woman who went to hospital complaining of an ‘extremely strange’ feeling in her private parts
A woman has had a cockroach removed from her vagina after she went to doctors complaining of an ‘extremely strange’ feeling in her genitals.
The patient, who has not been named, came to the clinic in Honduras complaining of feeling ‘extremely restless, agitated and sweaty’.
She had also been unable to sleep the previous night and said it felt like something ‘extremely strange’ was in her vagina.
Doctors were stunned when an examination revealed the dead insect inside her.
A woman who went to the doctors complaining of itchy genitals was told she had a cockroach lodged inside them (stock image)
Dr Marco Calix, a gynecologist in Honduras, led care for the patient
It was immediately removed and the woman was discharged after being checked for injuries.
Medics who treated the woman in Tegucigalpa, the country’s capital, said they had previously dealt with condoms and sex toys in patients’ private parts
But they were ‘very anxious’ when they spotted the insect — a first for the hospital.
Dr Marco Calix, a gynecologist who looked after the patient, said: ‘[The woman] said she had something unusual in her vagina.
‘When I introduced the speculum, I could see that it was an insect. In fact, I had to take out something like a cockroach.’
A speculum is a piece of equipment used by medics to see inside parts of the body, such as a vagina.
It was unclear how the cockroach got into the woman’s body or how long it had been there for.
But Dr Calix said the woman was from a ‘rural area’ and that it was already dead when the insect was removed.
A number of cases of insects getting stuck inside people are reported annually, with doctors at one Alabama hospital saying they deal with up to five cases a year.
But this is normally in areas such as the ears.
It is extremely rare for a cockroach — the most common insect to crawl into someone, according to experts — to be spotted inside someone’s vagina.
Insects that get into the body can be dangerous because they could scratch sensitive tissue, such as in the vagina or ear, triggering an infection.
Warning signs of problems include pain or swelling at the affected site.
Dr Calix added that, with vaginas, insects getting stuck inside them could cause abnormal or foul-smelling discharge, bleeding, swelling or a rash.
It comes after a woman in Vietnam who went to the doctor complaining of hearing buzzing was found to have a mosquito inside her ear.
She came into the clinic in Dien Bien Province with the complaint.
Doctors investigated with a small camera only to find that there was a mosquito lodged inside her ear canal.
It was a nasty shock for the woman, who had no idea, but she had it quickly removed in order to avoid ear damage.
Doctors used long thin tweezers to take out the insect in 2019. They said the insects can easily fly into someone’s ear.
COCKROACHES FOUND IN EARS BECAUSE THEY GO LOOKING FOR FOOD
There have been cases of all sorts of insects getting suck in people’s ears — including scavenging cockroaches.
They are the most common insects to get inside the ear, according to experts.
One unnamed woman in Guatemala visited a volunteer fire station near her house complaining of dizziness and headaches.
On closer inspection medics there found a dead cockroach lodged in her ear and removed it with tweezers.
They posted a video online of the grotesque removal with the caption ‘You will sleep well tonight!’
A Florida woman also made the same stomach-churning discovery, and doctors didn’t manage to remove the entire insect for nine days.
Coby Schal, an entomologist of North Carolina State University, told National Geographic in 2017: ‘It’s actually not an uncommon phenomenon to have a cockroach in the ear.
‘Roaches are searching for food everywhere, and earwax might be appealing to them.
‘A roach could go in to explore and then get stuck.’