Read the best collection of temptation quotes, sayings, and captions (with images and pictures) that will inspire you to have full control over your cravings and impulses.
What Is Temptation?
Temptation is a strong desire or drive to do something that is appealing but risky or wrong. It is the impulse to make a choice that may provide short-term pleasure, regardless of the long-term consequences.
We all face temptation in our lives, whether it’s for material possessions, unhealthy food, or even relationships. Temptation can be an incredibly powerful force that can lead us to make decisions that we later regret.
It is important to recognize the power of temptation and learn how to resist it so that we can make better decisions in our lives.
To resist temptation, we must first understand what it is and how it works. By understanding temptation, developing self-discipline, and being aware of potential triggers, we can learn how to overcome and resist temptation more effectively.
With the right strategies and a bit of self-control, you can overcome temptation and make decisions that are in line with your values and goals.
Top 10 Temptation Quotes
- “Temptation to behave is terrible.” – Bertolt Brecht
- “Virtue is insufficient temptation.” – George Bernard Shaw
- “The biggest human temptation is to settle for too little.” – Thomas Merton
- “Never succumb to the temptation of bitterness.” – Martin Luther King, Jr.
- “Yield to temptation. It may not pass your way again.” – Robert A. Heinlein
- “Lead me not into temptation; I can find the way myself.” – Rita Mae Brown
- “There are several good protections against temptation, but the surest is cowardice.” – Mark Twain
- “Most dangerous is that temptation that doth goad us on to sin in loving virtue.” – William Shakespeare
- “Ever notice that the whisper of temptation can be heard farther than the loudest call to duty.” – Earl Wilson
- “Temptation is the devil looking through the keyhole. Yielding is opening the door and inviting him in.” – Billy Sunday
Best Quotes Of Temptation
- “Free cheese is always available in mouse traps.” – Unknown
- “With every temptation, there will be a way of escape.” – Unknown
- “The poor man’s temptation is a loaf of bread.” – Yiddish proverb
- “Why resist temptation? There will always be more.” – Don Herold
- “Temptation is a woman’s weapon and man’s excuse.” – H. L. Mencken
- “Lead us not into temptation. Just tell us where it is; we’ll find it.” – Sam Levenson
- “Knowing was a temptation. What you don’t know won’t tempt you.” – Margaret Atwood
- “None are known to be good, till they have opportunity to be bad.” – Benjamin Whichcote
- “The problem with temptation is that you may not get another chance.” – Laurence J Peter
- “Every life is a march from innocence, through temptation, to virtue or vice.” – Lyman Abbott
- “Don’t worry about avoiding temptation. As you grow older, it starts avoiding you.” – Unknown
- “In all temptations let us consider not what he offers, but what we shall lose.” – Richard Sibbes
- “The last temptation is the greatest treason: to do the right deed for the wrong reason.” – T. S. Eliot
- “I have learned that as an artist, I cannot succumb to the temptation to please others.” – Kiana Madeira
- “About the only time losing is more fun than winning is when you’re fighting temptation.” – Tom Wilson
- “We find many things to which the prohibition of them constitutes the only temptation.” – William Hazlitt
- “He who cannot resist temptation is not a man. He is wanting in the highest attributes of humanity.” – Horace Mann
- “Victorious living does not mean freedom from temptation, nor does it mean freedom from mistakes.” – E. Stanley Jones
- “Temptation is the feeling we get when encountered by an opportunity to do what we innately know we shouldn’t.” – Steve Maraboli
- “Temptation is like a knife, that may either cut the meat or the throat of a man: it may be his food or his poison, his exercise or his destruction.” – John Owen
Quotes About Temptations
- “It is easier to avoid temptation than resist it.” – Unknown
- “God tests, but he does not tempt.” – Criss Jami, Killosophy
- “Temptation is not a sin; it is a call to battle.” – Erwin W. Lutzer
- “Flee temptation and don’t leave a forwarding address.” – Unknown
- “No man knows how bad he is till he has tried very hard to be good.” – C.S. Lewis
- “The temptation of the age is to look good without being good.” – Brennan Manning
- “Temptation wrings integrity even as the thumbscrew twists a man’s fingers.” – Proverbs
- “Do not worry about avoiding temptation. As you grow older it will avoid you.” – Joey Adams
- “It’s a temptation that exists for everyone- for talk and hype to replace action.” – Ryan Holiday
- “Temptation is to romance what the humping canine is to everlasting love.” – Stewart Stafford
- “Lead me not into temptation… Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut.” – Unknown
- “Many a dangerous temptation comes to us in gay, fine colours, that are but skin-deep.” – Matthew Henry
- “Most people would like to be delivered from temptation but would like it to keep in touch.” – Robert Orben
- “The first temptation, upon meeting an old friend after many years, is always to – look the other way.” – Ugo Betti
- “I never resist temptation because I have found that things that are bad for me do not tempt me.” – George Bernard
- “When you’re young, the temptation is maybe to think, ‘More is more.’ But a lot of the time less is more.” – Daniel Ricciardo
- “A man cannot destroy the savage in him by denying its impulses. The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it.” – Unknown
- “Temptations in the life of faith are not accidents; each temptation is part of a plan, a step in the progress of faith.” – Oswald Chambers
- “Temptation coaxes us toward sin, and sin leads to sickness and death, and ultimately confinement in the realm of the evil one.” – Frederica Mathewes-Green
- “Temptations to sin are sure to come but woe to the person through whom they occur! It would be better for him if a millstone were put around his neck and he be thrown into the sea, than for him to cause one of these little ones to sin…” – Luke 17:1-2
Famous Quotes About Resisting Temptation
- “I can resist everything except temptation.” – Oscar Wilde
- “I generally avoid temptation unless I can’t resist it.” – Mae West
- “Where there is no temptation there is no glory.” – Italian Proverb
- “The ordeal of virtue is to resist all temptation to evil.” – Thomas Malthus
- “We gain the strength of the temptation we resist.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
- “Don’t just run from temptation, look it in the eye and defeat it.” – Baylor Barbee
- “Every moment of resistance to temptation is a victory.” – Frederick William Faber
- “Tis one thing to be tempted, Escalus, another thing to fall.” – William Shakespeare
- “The trouble with resisting temptation is it may never come your way again.” – Unknown
- “The temptation to quit will be greatest just before you are about to succeed.” – Unknown
- “If you don’t want temptation to follow you, don’t act as if you’re interested….” – Unknown
- “There is a charm about the forbidden that makes it unspeakably desirable.” – Mark Twain
- “Having a bottom line makes it easier to resist pressure and temptations of the moment.” – Roger Fisher
- “The virtue which has never been attacked by temptation is deserving of no monument.” – Madeleine De Scudery
- “I have found that people who can successfully resist temptation invariably lead depressingly stunted lives.” – C.D Payne
- “Watch and pray so that you will not fall into temptation. The spirit is willing, but the body is weak.” – Matthew 26:41
- “What makes resisting temptation difficult for many people is they don’t want to discourage it completely.” – Franklin P. Jones
- “The only way to get rid of temptation is to yield to it. Resist it, and your soul grows sick with longing for the things it has forbidden to itself.” – Oscar Wilde
- “Only those who try to resist temptation know how STRONG it is. … You find out the strength of a wind by trying to WALK AGAINST IT, not by lying down.” – C.S. Lewis
- “When I am able to resist the temptation to judge others, I can see them as teachers of forgiveness in my life, reminding me that I can only have peace of mind when I forgive rather than judge.” – Gerald Jampolsky
Overcoming Temptation Quotes
- “The devil always comes looking good.” – Unknown
- “Good habit’s result from resisting temptation.” – Ancient Proverb
- “When temptation knocks, imagination usually answers.” – Dan Bennett
- “The road to success is dotted with many tempting parking spaces.” – Will Rogers
- “Nothing can save you from that which you are not willing to give up.” – C Fantelli
- “Temptation is not a sin but playing with temptation invites sin.” – Fulton J. Sheen
- “Let my temptation be a book, which I shall purchase, hold and keep.” – Eugene Field
- “Opportunity may knock only once, but temptation leans on the doorbell.” – Unknown
- “Temptation usually comes in through a door that has deliberately been left open.” – Unknown
- “Every time I say ‘no’ to a small temptation, I strengthen my will to say ‘no’ to a greater one.” – Mother Angelica
- “There is not any memory with less satisfaction than the memory of some temptation we resisted.” – James Branch Cabell
- “Temptations are as thick as the leaves of the forest, and no one can be out of the reach of temptation unless he is dead.” – Robert G. Ingersoll
- “In every trial or temptation, there is a hidden lesson we ought to learn; such lesson is there to propel us for our future journey.” – Isaac A. Yowetu
- “The temptation to take the easy road is always there. But discipline is paramount to ultimate success and victory for any leader and any team.” – Jocko Willink
- “The permanent temptation of life is to confuse dreams with reality. The permanent defeat of life comes when dreams are surrendered to reality.” – James A. Michener
- “The most important thing is that we are on the right path, and we will not deviate from it, even in the face of strong temptation to choose temporary gains over long-term benefits.” – Yemi Osinbajo
- “Every conquering temptation represents a new fund of moral energy. Every trial endured and weathered in the right spirit makes a soul nobler and stronger than it was before.” – William Butler Yeats
- “Do today’s duty, fight today’s temptation; and do not weaken and distract yourself by looking forward to things which you cannot see, and could not understand if you saw them.” – Charles Kingsley
- “We never find out the strength of the evil impulse inside us until we try to fight it: and Christ, because he was the only man who never yielded to temptation, is also the only man who knows to the full what temptation means.” – C.S. Lewis
- “We all have vulnerabilities that can sidetrack us from reaching our goals. Recognize the times when you’re most likely to give into temptation, and make it harder for a single moment of weakness to sabotage your best efforts.” – Amy Morin
- Temptation is a powerful force that can cause us to make choices that we later regret. But by understanding the psychology of temptation and the factors that can lead to falling for temptation, we can take steps to better control our impulses and make better decisions.
By recognizing triggers, avoiding areas of vulnerability, and adopting behaviors that support our goals, we can increase our chances of resisting temptation and staying on the right track.
What are some helpful strategies for avoiding temptation?
When it comes to avoiding temptation, distraction can be helpful. When you feel tempted, try doing something that you enjoy or that will take your mind off of your desire.
Avoiding triggers or areas that may entice you to give in to temptation is also important.
Practicing mindfulness and staying present can also help you stay focused on your goals and prevent you from just acting on impulse. Lastly, forming positive and healthy habits can also help you resist temptation.
If you like these insightful temptation quotes then check out our collection of endurance quotes and self-control quotes to inspire you to be self-disciplined and patient in life to have full control over your emotions and actions.
Feel free to share these aesthetic quotes with friends and family on Facebook, Instagram, WhatsApp, Twitter, Pinterest, and more to spread some wise words of wisdom.