Ant & Dec have sensationally quit Saturday Night Takeaway ahead of their 20th series, shocking their fans across the nation.
Anthony McPartlin and Declan Donnelly, both 47, have announced that the multiple BAFTA-winning show will take a break after 2024.
The pair will continue their exclusive working relationship with ITV, hosting hit shows including I’m A Celebrity… Get Me Out Of Here!, Britain’s Got Talent and Limitless Win, all of which air across ITV1 and ITVX.
Ant said: ‘We love making Saturday Night Takeaway, but reaching the milestone of 20 series seemed like the perfect time to pause for a little while and catch our breath.’
Dec added: ‘We still have a momentous 20th series to look forward to first so we will do our best to go out (for now) with a bang in 2024!’
Wow! Ant & Dec have sensationally quit Saturday Night Takeaway ahead of their 20th series, shocking their fans across the nation (pictured in March 2023)
Ant & Dec’s Saturday Night Takeaway, produced by Lifted Entertainment (part of ITV Studios) and Mitre Studios, will return next year for its 20th series.
The series has spawned numerous iconic segments, including Win the Ads, Undercover, Get Out Of Me Ear, The End of Show Show and the Happiest Minute of the Week.
The most recent series launched in February with ITV1’s biggest overnight audience of the year, attracting 6.4 million viewers, and the biggest entertainment audience across any channel.
The show’s combination of live, high energy, feel good fun has seen the format achieve multiple BAFTA and National Television Awards since launching in 2002.
Kevin Lygo, ITV Managing Director, Media and Entertainment, said: ‘When you think of Saturday night television you think of Saturday Night Takeaway.
‘Over 20 series the show has become a cultural phenomenon, and while we eagerly anticipate what Ant & Dec have up their sleeves for the 2024 series, we completely understand their desire to take a pause, take stock, and think about what the next incarnation of the show might look like.’
In a video posted to Twitter on Thursday evening, Ant said: ‘Hi everyone, we’ve got some news for you. Next year, in 2024, it will be our 20th series of Saturday Night Takeaway and we’ve got some very exciting new items.’
Unexpected: Anthony McPartlin and Declan Donnelly, both 47, have announced that the multiple BAFTA -winning show will take a break after 2024
Throwback: The series previously took a pause in 2009, returning four years later in 2013 (pictured in 2004)
They announced the huge news from the Universal Orlando Resort in Florida this evening after hosting the last episode of the series.
Dec explained that they both ‘need a bit of a rest’ amid their other ongoing work commitments.
He added: ‘And we’ve also decided that our 20th series next year will be our last one for a little while. The show takes up such a lot of our year, we just feel that we need a little bit of a breather and have a little bit of a rest.’
Ant and Dec – who initially found fame on Byker Grove in the late 1980s – first fronted the show from 2002 until 2009 when the show went on hiatus and since its 2013 return, they have been joined by a string of co-presenters over the years including the likes of Scarlett Moffatt, Stephen Mulhern and Jordan Banjo.
In 2021, the show – which relies heavily on participation from its studio audience – went virtual in order to allow the interaction to continue.
Just last month, Ant and Dec revealed Saturday Night Takeaway would be returning to screens next year.
The chaotic grand finale show was jam-packed full of hilarious segments and some cringe-worthy moments as the largest Win The Ads jackpot was lost.
However at the end of the packed show, the duo revealed that Takeaway will be returning next year for a new series.
It’s back! Just last month, Ant and Dec revealed Saturday Night Takeaway would be returning to screens next year
Exciting! The chaotic grand finale show was jam-packed full of hilarious segments and some cringe-worthy moments as the largest Win The Ads jackpot was lost
Ant and Dec also promised that viewers could even Win The Ads once more as the competition would also be a part of their next series.
Saturday Night Takeaway originally launched in 2002 before taking a four-year break in 2009 and next year’s series will be the show’s 20th.
However the show wasn’t all fun and games as contestant John sadly lost all the prizes on the weekly competition in which players get to win a number of huge prizes.
John was in with a chance of winning £20,000 and a Caribbean holiday if he could answer which animated film franchise was set for a 5th installment.
Viewers were devastated for the contestant with many suggesting it was an easy question, given the news had come to light just days earlier.
One person wrote: ‘Lord it is absolutely gutting when they DON’T win the ads. #SaturdayNightTakeaway’
Another said: ‘It was literally like 3 days ago news. I was like shouting shrek so much my dog ran out the room.’
Someone else said: ‘HE LOST THE BIGGEST WIN THE ADS THEY’VE EVER DONE’
Sombre: In a video posted to Twitter on Thursday evening, Ant (left) said: ‘Hi everyone, we’ve got some news for you. Next year, in 2024, it will be our 20th series of Saturday Night Takeaway and we’ve got some very exciting new items’
Tired: Dec (right) explained that they both ‘need a bit of a rest’ amid their other ongoing work commitments
While some people were really confused as to how John didn’t get the question right.
One person wrote: ‘No offence to him but how the HELL did the guy on Win the Ads on #saturdaynighttakeaway not know about Shrek 5’s existence.’
Another said: ‘Had the chance to win the biggest ‘Win the ads prize’ draw ever and gets the Shrek question wrong…
‘How has he not heard that Shrek 5 is in the works?! #SaturdayNightTakeaway’
John looked visibly gutted after he realised that he got the answer wrong while the audience also gasped in shock.
Dec said: ‘John here’s your make or break question, it’s been widely reported this week that a hugely successful animated film franchise is set for a 5th installment featuring the original voice cast.
‘Which one, Shrek or Madagascar?’ John answered: ‘Madagascar’.
Ant revealed it was the wrong answer as Dec buried his head in his hands in disbelief.