On the eve of 2023, let’s recall simple traditional recipes and share new delicious ideas so that your New Year’s table has both classic and original dishes.
Traditional Recipes for Holiday
Every family has favorite New Year’s recipes, and every hostess prepares them in her own way. But sometimes you really want to try the same thing, but in a different interpretation. Do you agree? Then we offer you the recipes of the “old” classics. Perhaps their composition and nuances of preparation will seem unexpected, but we are sure that you will like these dishes, and become part of your New Year’s table.
Ingredients (for 1 serving):
- Potatoes – 1 medium tuber;
- Egg – 1 pc;
- Carrots – 1/4 of the number of potatoes;
- Green onion – 1 feather (together with the white part);
- Canned cucumbers – 1/4 of the amount of potatoes;
- Boiled chicken breast – 1/6 of a large breast;
- Canned green peas – 1 dessert spoon;
- Mayonnaise “Provencal”, salt.
If necessary, green onions can be replaced with onions – you need 1/6 of a medium onion.
- Hardly boil the eggs. Boil chicken breast. Cook unpeeled carrots until al dente by adding ready-made mustard to the water, and after cooling, remove the skin. Peel the potatoes, cover them with cold water to cover the tubers, put them on fire, and cook for 20 minutes without salt: it will take 10 minutes to boil and another 10 minutes to cook. Drain the water and let the tubers cool in the same pot, but do not cover it with a lid.
- Cut the cucumbers into pea-sized cubes and wait for the marinade to drain. Drain the marinade from the jar of green peas.
- Cut all the ingredients into cubes of the same size.
- Stir gently, salt a little, and let stand for 30-45 minutes.
- Season with mayonnaise, and mix. Try it. Add salt to taste.
- It is better to serve the salad chilled, letting it brew for 2-3 hours.
A German Christmas potato salad with cod will be perceived in a completely new way if the serving is slightly changed.
First of all, prepare the minced meat. Boil the cod. Break the fillet into small pieces with your hands. Cut the onion into cubes and fry in vegetable oil until golden brown. Grate hard-boiled eggs on a coarse grater. Season minced fish, onions, and eggs with olive mayonnaise. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Then prepare thick mashed potatoes with butter and minimal milk. Make small serving nests-baskets out of it, immediately planting them on a serving dish. It is better to use a pastry bag for this, but you can form baskets with a spoon or hands.
When they are done, roll them into balls large enough to fit into the indentations in the potato nests. Place the filling in them, sprinkle with chopped dill and “snow” from egg white, and grated on a fine grater.
Many people do not know how to skin carp “stocking”, so they do not want to cook this traditional Christmas dish. But the fish can simply be cut into portions, and then carefully cut out the meat with a knife, leaving the skin rings intact. When you fill the rings with minced meat (from fish or vegetables), place them in a cauldron so that the skin of one ring is in contact with the minced meat from the other.
Getting rid of the unpleasant aftertaste of river fish can be quite easy. To do this, pour the dish with white or red sauce, and put a dense layer of dried onion peel on top, which can be soaked in water for convenience.
New Year Fitness Recipes
If you adhere to the rules of a healthy diet and do not want to break them even on New Year’s Eve, then we have prepared some useful recipes for you.
An original vegetable salad, really appropriate on the New Year’s table, will bring together supporters of proper nutrition.
- Orange – 1 part;
- Onion – 1 part;
- Hard cheese (spicy or smoked variety) – 2 parts;
- Eggs – 2 parts;
- Mayonnaise “Provencal” or unsweetened thick yogurt.
Separately, we clarify that the mayonnaise will need to be slightly salted.
- Hardly boil the eggs.
- Peel the orange with a knife, cutting off the skin in sectors from top to bottom and leaving a small layer of pulp on it.
- Cut the onion into small cubes. Blanch it for 20 seconds in boiling water. Then let the water drain well and marinate the onions in orange juice squeezed out of the pulp that remains on the skins.
- Disassemble the orange into slices, remove the inner membranes, and cut each slice of pulp into 3-4 parts.
- Grate cheese and eggs on a coarse grater.
The salad can be laid out in a transparent salad bowl in layers: onion – orange – cheese – mayonnaise – yolks – proteins. And you can season everything, mix and put it in a few original soup bowls, which will pass for salad bowls.
Related: Three Apple Pie Recipes with the Best Filling
This is what shortbread dough baskets are called. If you are planning not a New Year’s feast, but a buffet table, then tartlets are what you need! Just do not buy large-diameter baskets: they are designed for making desserts that are eaten with a spoon and knife while sitting at the table. But baskets of small diameter “for two bites” or halves of shortbread nuts can be stuffed with any salads and pates!
This year it will be fashionable to serve ladles of eggs stuffed with a mixture of cod liver, yolk, fried onions, dill, lemon juice, and thick Turkish yogurt for the New Year’s table. It’s delicious and very healthy! Small tartlets can also be stuffed with minced meat, and “snow” can be made from protein, which will hide the unattractive appearance of the filling. It will also be very beautiful!
A company of friends and relatives who are watching their figure can also be pampered with sweets on New Year’s Eve.
Puff pastry for cakes can be bought at the store. And here is a simple recipe for how to cook a light French cream :
- 1 liter of milk + 100 g of sugar + 50 g of butter + a bag of vanilla sugar mix and bring almost to a boil in a saucepan with a thick bottom;
- While the milk mixture is heating, in another saucepan, mix 3 eggs well with 50 g of flour (1/3 cup) ;
- Pour hot milk into the prepared mixture, mix quickly and thoroughly, and pour back into the pan with a thick bottom;
- Cook the cream over medium heat for two minutes, stirring constantly, and then remove and put to cool, for example, on a windowsill.
The cream will thicken as it cools, so stir occasionally. When the cakes are baked, let them cool, and then grease them with cream and leave the cake to infuse.
We recommend serving “Napoleon” not as a whole, but in sliced pieces and beautifully laid out on the upper tier of a two-tiered dish (you can put fresh fruit at the bottom). There should be two such plates on a large table.
Original cocktails for the New Year
New Year’s holidays are the time when you can and should “get confused” with the preparation of delicious cocktails.
The classics of the genre are always in fashion:
- Manhattan – 20-25 ml dry martini + 50 ml whiskey + 1 ice cube.
- “Martini Royale” – 75 ml martini + 75 ml champagne + a quarter of a lime (lemon slice) + 2 ice cubes.
- “Champagne whiskey” – 2 tbsp. l. vanilla syrup + 50 ml whiskey + 200 ml champagne. Make a thick vanilla syrup in advance. Before serving, mix it with whiskey, pour the mixture into a glass, and add champagne (do not stir).
- Champagne ice – 100 ml of champagne + 100 g of ice cream + a few frozen strawberries. Dip the berries in champagne without defrosting. Put ice cream on top. Drink through a straw.
- “Hot Toddy” – 50 ml whiskey + 200 ml boiling water + 2 cloves + cinnamon stick (can be replaced with a pinch of powder) + lemon wedge + honey to taste.
If one of your guests does not drink alcohol, prepare him a delicious non-alcoholic cocktail. To do this, you will need 100 ml of coffee, 50 g of ice cream, and 1/3 of a banana. Brew coffee with vanilla in advance. Before serving (pouring into glasses), whisk cold coffee with ice cream and banana mashed with a fork in a blender.
Have a delicious and happy New Year!