The Tony Awards will have unscripted broadcast on CBS after Lin-Manuel Miranda drops out amid WGA strike
The Tony Awards will be broadcast on CBS in an unscripted format after Lin-Manuel Miranda exited his role as writer of the opening segment amid the ongoing Writers Guild of America strike.
Miranda, 43, ceased penning the opening of the show in solidarity with the WGA, sources told The Hollywood Reporter Tuesday.
The Hamilton creator – who was seen providing picketers with donuts earlier this month in New York City – had began penning the script for the June 11 show open ahead of the strike commencing May 2, insiders told the outlet.
According to the outlet, a script for the entire show had been finished ahead of the beginning of the strike.
Miranda, who is not a member of the WGA, has past written for the Tonys, and has extensive experience in plays as well as films. His notable plays include In the Heights, which he later adapted into a movie; and Bring It On: The Musical.
The latest: The Tony Awards will be broadcast on CBS in an unscripted format after Lin-Manuel Miranda, 43, exited his role as writer of the opening segment amid the ongoing Writers Guild of America strike. The playwright was pictured in NYC last month
He directed the film tick, tick… BOOM! and put together the scores for the films Moana and Encanto.
Miranda also worked as a lyricist on the New York, New York, which is among the Best Musical nominees this year.
The ceremony will commence with Ariana DeBose as the show’s host, sources told THR.
The latest developments comes after the WGA received and denied a request from the Tony Awards Management Committee, which then appealed the decision Monday in hopes of proceeding with the annual award show.
The Hamilton creator had began penning the script for the June 11 show open ahead of the strike commencing May 2. The stage at the United Palace in NYC was seen at last year’s show
The ceremony will commence with Ariana DeBose, 32, as the show’s host, sources told THR. She was pictured last week in NYC
DeBose was pictured onstage at last year’s ceremony from NYC
Protestors were seen on the picket line outside the Javits Center in NYC Tuesday
On Monday, the WGA said that while it would not give the show a waiver or exception, it would not be picketing the event, putting talent in the awkward position of having to cross the line.
The WGA said that the Tony Awards Productions said they would make adjustments to the broadcast ‘to conform with specific requests from the WGA.’
Said the WGA: ‘Responsibility for having to make changes to the format of the 2023 Tony Awards rests squarely on the shoulders of Paramount/CBS and their allies,’ who ‘continue to refuse to negotiate a fair contract for the writers represented by the WGA.
‘As they have stood by us, we stand with our fellow workers on Broadway who are impacted by our strike.’